Consciousness Runs Deep - But Is It Deep Enough?
As I watched the the Soul River - Consciousness Runs Deep video I was initially a bit skeptical as the
intro went on for a few minutes. I must admit I was drawn in by the mix of
hip-hop music as it was combined with the organic images of the river and fly
fishing. The lyrics of the song were powerful as they offered words such as “growing
in health” or “what we have is not a lie”. The song also reminded us that “we
must learn from our past transgressions” and “we have a choice”.
I do see this method of communication as a valuable tool
given the fact our younger generations are connected to visual and auditory
communication streams more directly than older generations. While I do see this
as a marketing opportunity for the artist I also discovered some interesting
background on Brian Chou, the fly fisherman in the clip. Mr. Chou is a legend
in the fly fishing industry and he in fact maintains quite an industry in the
Northwest. I visited his Soul River webpage and discovered what I perceived as
the true intent of the video. I see this as a marketing opportunity for his
business and an obvious partnership with Kourtney Newell.
On face value it would seem fairly benign to take this
course of action. Mr. Chou has the same right as anyone else to market his
business and do so in any manner he chooses. Well, one line in the song lyrics stated
“it is our role to protect”. This was a key statement to me and is key to his
role in this media platform. Mr. Chou, Kourtney Newell and the sponsors
(Oakley, The Freshwater Trust, Sierra Club, Springbox, Airflo, Primal Screens)
have a unique opportunity to protect. Their opportunity comes in the form of
modeling or setting the example for true wide sweeping change. So, when I
review the Soul River blog I see many “partners” and many places where the
media platform he is leveraging can be used in a productive or damaging way. Do
all the companies Mr. Chou speaks of in his blog model the conservation practices
he presents? Does his branded clothing get manufactured in an environmentally
aware manner? I’m not sure but there is little on his website or blog that
speaks of this or truly models this message as a priority. I point this finger as I do believe we need this type of change
and the leaders in this will need to be those with the most opportunity to
influence. Finally, I don’t want to leave the reader with the message that Mr. Chou is irresponsible or malicious. Soul River does amazing things for veterans and the youth in his area. He is leveraging his business in a positive way. I am simply unsure if his leverage of conservation is being modeled or leveraged as overtly as it could be given his platform.
Now, I’m not presenting that I (the consumer) am without
fault or obligation in this. I am however suggesting a corporately sponsored
video that speaks the message of conservation, protection of our resources and
our social environmental obligation should be more than powerful images and
lyrics. I see the video as the bait and the true message is strengthened by the
actions and examples that are set by those with the loudest voice. I truly
enjoyed the music and the video. It made me find the Soul River website and
look deeper at that organization. What a powerful platform it would be if I
visited his website and saw examples, messages and resources that modeled the
messages in the video. We need leaders in change, we have many but we need
more.
As I think about creating or changing my own “land ethic” I
realize I must take responsibility for my actions (that impact the environment)
both past and present. I need to remain open to change and not look for opportunities
to explain away or create excuses for my own inaction.
Comments
Post a Comment