More Than Just Sautéed...An Actual Spore Exuding Superhero!
![]() |
| Discovery Magazine |
I admit it…I was not a mushroom fan but
that was before I watched the Ted Talk on “6 Ways Mushrooms Can Safe the World”. While I wasn’t the biggest fan of mushrooms, I guess most of my experiences
were gastronomically focused.
Thinking about a
mushroom as more that something that is either included or excluded on your
dining menu is an important step to start with. Mushrooms are not going to save
the world by simply including them in your menu, so lets get that out of the
way now. They are however far more than just something to eat. Did you know that we are more
closely related to fungi than any other organism? We actually share the same
pathogens. Giant fungi inhabited the earth at one point, they survived even
after the dinausauer extinction. Mushrooms are virtual superheroes in our ecosystem and they can be called upon to take on many tasks that could actually help get us out of the bind we are in. The 6 examples discussed in the Ted Talk captioned above are noted below.
1. Cleaning Up Oil
Spills: The use of mycelium to aid in oil spill cleanup. The fungi absorbed the
oil, broke the carbon hydrogen bonds and remanufactured it into
carbohydrates. Not only did this
aid in the oil cleanup it appeared to also produce a starter for true recovery
by starting a new ecosystem in something that was an oil soaked pile. Insects
were attracted to the pile because of the decomposing fungi, birds came to eat
the insects, and the birds dropped vegetation seeds and the cycle of life
continued.
2. Absorbing Farm
Pollution: Burlap sacks inoculated with mycelium become sponges for toxic
runoff. This experiment dramatically reduced the amount of coliforms in the
runoff.
3. Fighting off
Disease: Stamets proved that certain fungi could actually combat illnesses. He
found that three strains are highly active against pox viruses and three are
highly active against the flu. “
4. Combating Insects:
insects can be decimate houses and some fungus-based insecticides don’t work
because the creatures know to avoid the spores. So Stamets developed a mycelium
that didn’t produce spores. He stated, “The ants were attracted to the
mycelium, because there’s no spores,” After using it in his own house, Stamets
commented, “They gave it to the queen. One week later, I had no sawdust piles
whatsoever.”
5. Re-Greening The
Planet: Stamets created something called a “life box” that includes fungi
spores that you add to soil, water and cardboard. This box can be shipped or
replicated anywhere and it creates a rich environment to plant other seeds,
like corns, beans, squash and onions for refugee populations.
6. Creating A
Sustainable Fuel Source: mycelium can help us move away from fossil fuel in a
sustainable, earth-friendly way. Instead of wasting energy by going directly
from cellulose to ethanol, he uses mycelium as part of the process…natural
process versus man driven chemical conversion, allowing the fungus to naturally
convert cellulose into fungal sugars.
I will never look at a mushroom the same way again. I now see them as natures workhorse and I have a feeling that the list of items above isn't going to stop at 6.

Comments
Post a Comment