My Favorite Outdoor Space
![]() |
| St. Helena California |
My favorite outdoor nature space is
a place that I am lucky enough to visit at least once every few months. The
spot is hidden in the hills of St. Helena and the piece of property is home to
two small ponds. The ponds are utilitarian in the fact that they were man made
and designed to provide the water for the surrounding vineyards that are build
up on the surrounding hills. These ponds may be utilitarian but they have
become the hub of a huge circle of nature around them. I choose to visit these
ponds while I fish, one of my most favorite hobbies. I love fishing and these
ponds have become my secret spot, a spot filled with natural activity. While
there I watch deer walking along the banks, fish swimming in the sun and patches
of lily pads with pink flowers the size of my hand. I also watch huge gray
herons roosting in the pine trees that have quail running around the base. I’ve
seen raccoons, snakes of every size and land and water birds enjoying all the
pond provides. I also hear nature around me as I hear frogs chirping, fish
jumping and the various buzzing of all the bugs that are part of the pond
ecosystem. One might think all this activity would be overwhelming. I actually
find this activity to be calming and it puts me at peace as I watch it all as I
sit on the banks of the pond in the shade.
These ponds serve as my “quiet
space” although at face value they are far from quiet. I enjoy my seat on the
sidelines as I watch nature in perfect harmony around me. My visits remind me
of how important nature is and most importantly how my life would be impacted
if we lost these spaces as a result of our abuses or those around us.

Comments
Post a Comment